donderdag 2 januari 2014

Getting back to business

New Years resolutions, the last couple of years I have only one - and that is to try to live life to the fullest (without  regrets) enjoy everything I do, the people I meet and the things I see and learn.

But every year after Christmas, New Year and all the dinner & cocktail parties - I gained some pounds ... So it's not a resolution but still it has to go :). Thing is ... I am not getting younger, no really LOL, so I have to put a little more effort in it compared to when I was young. 

December is also a month in which my workout scedule somehow disappears, so I have to pick that up again... It consists of: 3 times a week to the gym (1 aerobics session, 2 cardio/ fitness sessions), 2 times a week power yoga and approx. 5 times a week riding my horse.

Eating ... I love it - So for me cutting down food is only possible if I replace it with something good :) Sizing down the portions is not a problem for me, if what I eat is good! So I've been browsing the net for some inspiration and came across some delicious recipes. I'll be sharing some of them with you the coming weeks.

First one are the spring rolls: 


Garlic Chicken Spring Rolls Recipe
Fresh basil, fresh mint or any herb will be a wonderful addition. For the crunch factor, you can add raw carrots, celery, bell peppers or cucumbers. In this recipe, I added pickled Vietnamese carrots and daikon that I always have on hand.


Ingredients:
  • 2 pounds of boneless chicken
  • 4 Tablespoons of grape seed or vegetable oil
  • 2 medium cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 teaspoons of sesame oil
  • 4 teaspoons soy sauce or fish sauce
  • fresh basil, mint or other herbs
  • fresh lettuce, chopped or torn in small pieces
  • carrots, celery, cucumbers, daikon radish or bell peppers
  • rice paper


For Garlic Soy dip:
  • 4 tablespoons light soy sauce
  • 1 medium clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon lime juice
  • 1/4 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon of sesame oil
1. For the Chicken: In a large bowl, combine chicken, vegetable oil, sesame oil, garlic and soy sauce. Cover well and allow to marinade for about 20 minutes.
2. Heat frying pan and cook chicken. Slice in chicken in thin slices, about 1/4 inches for rolling.
3. Gather vegetables, rice paper, board surface to roll on and bowl of hot water.
4. For the Dip: combine all ingredients well.


For Rolls:
  1. In large bowl, fill it with water and make it warm by adding hot water. Gently dip each rice paper wrapper in warm water for a few seconds till damp. Don’t over soak the rice paper. Place rice paper on plate, or working surface. As rice paper begins to absorb the water and become more soft and pliable (10-30 seconds, depending on wrappers and water temp.), begin to add the fillings.
  2. On the 1/3 section of the rice paper wrapper closest to you, start layering your fillings of lettuce, herbs, chicken and vegetables.
  3. Start rolling the wrapper over the fillings away from you, tucking and rolling the wrapper with your fingers, making sure all the fillings remain right and round within the rice paper wrapper.
  4. Serve immediately with soy dip, or cover with plastic wrap to eat a few hours later.
Related Posts