In a few days I am hosting a brunch party for some friends. One thing that is so easy and quick to make, looks good, tastes great and brings a little summer and happiness to the table are Chocolate Strawberries. But you can also serve them as dessert snack after dinner or to decorate cakes.
|The end result|
1lb/450g fresh strawberries
7oz/200g dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids if possible)
How to make:
- Firstly wash the strawberries (leaving the stalks in place) in cold water. Drain in a colander and dry completely on kitchen paper.
- Line a baking sheet or tray with greaseproof or wax paper.
- Heat some water to boiling point in a saucepan. Remove from the heat.
- Break the chocolate into pieces and place in a large heatproof bowl. Place the bowl over the pan of hot water ensuring that it does not come into contact with the water. Stir regularly until the chocolate is completely melted & smooth.
- Hold a strawberry by its stalk and dip into the chocolate, rotating it slowly. Lift it out of the chocolate and allow the excess to drain back into the basin. Place onto the greaseproof paper.
- Repeat the process until all strawberries are coated.
- Allow the strawberries to set fully in the refrigerate for about an hour.
|Allow the strawberries to cool down in the fridge|
- Milk chocolate or white chocolate may be used in place of plain if you prefer.
- This chocolate dipped strawberries can be completed up to 4 hours before you intend to eat them.
- If you wish to get a perfect, even finish to the chocolate, insert a cocktail stick or skewer into each strawberry before dipping. Once dipped, secure the other end of the stick into a piece of styrofoam or large grapefruit. Once set, remove from the stick and chill before serving.
|Try experimenting with different types of chocolate|